I enjoy teaching and telling stories, especially around software design and development. In recent years I’ve been lucky enough to be invited to do so at over a dozen conferences around the world. If you run a conference and want to talk, get in touch.
A slide from a talk I gave in 2017 at Microsoft.
I often speak on the same topics that I write about. Here are some examples:
- Product and project management for quality, including communication, iteration, and what it takes to drive great UX.
- Mobile app design and development, especially topics around UI and product strategy.
- Lessons learned from shipping products, whether it was our app that mapped the internet, our various internal product experiments, or one of the dozens of products we’ve shipped for clients.
- Engineering leadership, including engaging and retaining a team, technical decision-making, and advocating for quality.
- Running a business, especially a software business.
- Personal stories that inform, whether they’re heavy or light.
Also, on occasion, I’ll MC a conference or show.
Here are two example videos of talks I’ve given:
Competing with Art, at CocoaLove in Philadelphia
Native.js, at JSConf EU in Berlin
I enjoy guesting on podcasts – they’re most of the fun of giving a talk, with a lot less work. Here are some shows I’ve been on:
- The Fun Fact Podcast, where Arik Devens and I discuss important facts every other week.
- Giant Robots 264, where we talk about building great product teams.
- Clockwise 174, where we discuss iPad, Apple Watch, Apple-produced original content, and iTunes
- Release Notes 190, where I talk about our products, and 191, where I talk about client work.
- Up Up Down Down, the game development podcast I co-hosted, currently on hiatus.
- Cinema Gadfly 7 and 8, where Arik Devens and I discuss Terry Gilliam’s Brazil and Steven Spielberg’s Catch Me If You Can.
- Incomparable Radio Theatre 1.10, as Charles Babbage
- Iterate 80, an episode where we discuss Steamclock, our apps, and mobile app design
- Unprofessional 52, “The Taco Bell Unprofessional”
- Lining Things Up 6, my first podcast appearance